Saturday, November 7, 2009

Goin' down the road feelin' bad

What is the name of that Grateful Dead song?

CA grape vines in their fall wardrobe

I love the sights on the drive down CA 101 between the San Francisco Bay Area and San Luis Obispo, but I sure do dislike sitting in the car and worse yet being the driver, as I was this weekend. We've got those little communications devices like they had on Star Trek, how come we can't beam ourselves places yet? It would sure save on gas prices too.

I headed down to see my sweet daughter at Cal Poly but on the way back I drove along Las Pilitas Road to buy CA native plants from Penny at the Las Pilitas Nursery . I'd been meaning to get there on a Saturday for awhile. It's the only day of the week they are open to the public. Which makes it that much more intriguing!

If we could beam ourselves wherever we wanted, I'm afraid that Las Pilitas would be ruined. You know why it's so good. It takes a while to get there and it's off the beaten path.

Along the road I stopped to see the old Railroad bridge.












This California Buckwheat was also growing along the roadway. My last native plant class was in 1976 but Penny confirmed for me that yes, this is Flat-Top Buckwheat

Eriogonum fasciculatum foliolosum




A flock of wild turkeys raced across the road. I think they are the wild variety. We have them up here too. I recognize them because they look exactly like the ones on the whiskey bottle. Unfortunately by the time I got the camera out they had zippity-do-dahed out into the meadow. They are no fools, these birds, despite what you hear.



No comments:

Post a Comment